The Stop The Pike Hike organizers are politely asked to cease their “Boston Toll Party”
It takes 2 minutes to sign this petition. please sign it.
So the mayor asked the guys to stop their one-day boycott of the pike boycott because of it’s potential negative impact on certain geo- and demographics. But he does support their protest against the toll doublings.
I am confused as to why people don’t sign petitions more often than they do. Do we actually support the doubling of the tolls on a road that was built on a promise that it would collect tolls no longer than that day on which it would be paid for, and yet was then perpetuated to support the salaries in place?
I bet a lot of us go to Boston once in a while and will then be upset at what it costs to get through the tolls. Of course we can always set aside an extra 45 minutes and take RT 2. Or, we can take Rt 9 all the way in and allow another so many extra minutes for all the traffic and lights. The one day boycott was not random and without consideration for those it would affect – it was about demonstrating exactly what will happen if the increases do go into effect. People will take another route around. And given the current economic situation, it seems a funny time to overburden the commoners. You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille.
The Boston Tea Party opposed being under taxation by King George III to exert greater control over the colonies and pay for his government’s costly French and Indian wars. The current toll increases are an attempt to pay for the costly Big Dig.
The one day boycott could be called The Boston Toll Party and the tollbooths could be dumped in the Charles River.
The Big Dig costs spiraled out of control as greedy people fudged their books and collected giant salaries for those at the top. Sounds like…
BUT, WHY SO FEW SIGNATURES? Is it a matter of well, we don’t live in that part of the state so it doesn’t affect us? There is that divide actually and I have lived on both sides of it. There was a Boston TV anchor who once, years ago, when talking about a huge snowstorm out here said, “Where the heck is ____ (whatever town it was) and then got so many angry calls he was forced to apologize on air. Yeah, that was not right. In Boston I’d respond to the “where are you from?” questions with, “Western Mass” and then get, “Oh, Worcester? I’d then have to explain that Worcester is just left of the midpoint, as evidenced by a glance at a map.
But I hope that everyone will support the STOP THE PIKE HIKE guys (who called in to my radio show last week; MP3 is here) had who had bravely planned for a one day boycott of The Mass Turnpike, which I wrote about in the previous post A DAY WITHOUT GAYS, because that was also about protest (against Proposition H8) and was a one day boycott of another sort.
It seems Mayor Menino has formally asked them to halt this one-day boycott/protest because it will negatively impact senior citizens who use public transportation. Well, I like that Mayor Menino is on their side and opposes the turnpike toll increases, which are DRASTIC, and in most cases they will DOUBLE, and which are intended to pay for The Big Dig, but will also greatly benefit the salaries of that quasi-state agency which is the Mass Pike.
The Turnpike Authority collects these tolls and disperses them to salaries, some pretty large, at 79%, and the remaining 21% goes to the state. So these drastic increases, in their drasticness, will add up to increased monies for the state, but the bulk of the huge bounty will go to salaries. It’s like the Turnpike is a hostage to these salaries. The whole Mass Turnpike history is maddening. If the toll increases go through, it will now cost $7 to get to the airport.